How to Play Baccarat
Baccarat’s goal is to bet on the hand with the closest value to nine. In this game, the tens and face cards (jacks, queens, and kings) are worth zero, the aces are worth 1, and the rest of the cards keep their face value. The suits of the cards are ignored here.
Baccarat is often played using six or eight decks of cards, depending on the variation. No matter how many individuals are taking part in the game, the dealer only deals two hands—the banker hand and the player hand—and players have to place bets on either of the hands. An important thing to remember is that the banker’s hand is not necessarily the casino’s hand; it is simply a hand that’s dealt to fulfill the game.
The game’s core rules follow:
- Any hand with a value of 8 or 9 is called a natural and immediately wins the game.
- The player hand stands on a value of 6 or 7 and hits on a value of 5 or less.
- If the player hand stands, the banker hand follows the above rules and hits if the hand value is 5 or lower.
- If the hand value exceeds 10 (as in 16), the tens digit is ignored and the hand’s value is 6.
Now, playing baccarat online isn’t all that different from playing at a real table; the only real difference is that all of your interactions are done with clicks and taps on on-screen buttons.
Baccarat Bets and Odds
In the game of baccarat, there are several types of bets that one can place, which are split into the categories of main bets and side bets. While certain variations of the game will have different betting rules, baccarat will generally let you place the following bets:
- Player: Bets on the player hand having the number closest to 9. Pays out even money or 1:1 when it wins.
- Banker: Bets on the banker hand having the number closest to 9. Pays out 0.95:1 when it wins (or 1:1 but with a 5% commission to the house).
- Tie: Bets on both hands showing a tie. Pays out 8:1 or 9:1 when it wins.
- Player Pair: Bets on the player hand having a paired hand (ignores suits).
- Banker Pair: Bets on the banker hand having a paired hand (ignored suits).
- Big: Bets on the game dealing a total of 5 or 6 hands.
- Small: Bets on the game dealing only 4 cards.
Extra Tips for Playing Baccarat Online
Even though baccarat is an incredibly simple game, truly mastering it takes a bit more effort and planning. We’ve shared a few helpful tips to help you get the most out of your baccarat gameplay sessions.
- Take advantage of free play modes to practice your strategies.
- Compare and contrast casino bonuses to find the best deals.
- Read the casino’s terms and conditions to avoid casino tricks and loopholes.
Even though the James Bond novels have given baccarat a sophisticated (if a bit snobby) atmosphere, playing the game is actually quite accessible nowadays. With thousands of baccarat games available in the hundreds of online casinos in the UK, you can jump in and play baccarat on computers, tablets, and smartphones over WiFi or cellular data.
To find the best baccarat games and online casinos, be sure to stay tuned to Inside Casino. We keep you updated on all of the latest developments in the UK’s online casino industry, reviewing new games and casino sites as they come out so you know which are good and which are not.